Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Lifes A Bunch of Projects

I've been trying to get some time on project 1 & 2 this week, and had some success in doing so today. Though an impending trip is also stealing time. Writing a white paper for my consulting biz. Resurrecting some interesting research done several years ago, which I'm updating now. It's interesting stuff related to green technology and such. So we'll see how that wraps up, but at least I blasted through a first draft today and it's already sounding pretty good.

On project 2 I've gone with a one page resume. Had a 3 page one for a while, but it's always a balance of brevity versus getting lots of keywords into the thing. As someone who has done lots of hiring in the past, I know brevity is a good thing. I still remember being impressed with a guys resume about 6 years ago as he had lots of credentials and experience, but managed to create a 1 page summary of it all. Every word has to count.

However, I still worry that given most HR departments pull resumes into databases and do keyword searching on them, I worry about having a balance between buzzwords and readable content.

So I've gone back to a one pager in preparation for doing some old fashioned banging on doors. Too often it's been my experience that there's a disconnect between HR departments and the people doing the hiring. It's super tough at the senior level, 'cause first level managers don't hire senior staff - that's done by exec's. Getting face time with them when' you're trying to break into their company is tough. So hopefully a one pager will make those seconds count a bit better.

Plus, I know there are still lots of senior staff who aren't exactly whizzes at email, so a paper might help a bit. But I think I'll still follow up with an eCopy.

I've got experience at almost every area of the technology world, from design and manufacturing of products (both in depth HW and SW development) as well as many years of managing development teams. I've also got the unusual experience of having pulled product from concept through industrial design, prototyping, manufacturing and delivery to the customer all by myself at high speed. Then layer on top of that years of business experience, competitive analysis, business plan writing and proposals, customer facing stuff, marketing collateral and and market studies. Not many people can say that. I've personally never met someone with all those skills.

A rare portfolio. But still, it's strangely difficult to get attention if you are looking for anything above an entry level these days. I guess there's a glut of senior people, and limited jobs. My resume just hasn't been punching through the noise... though I've been a bit more focussed on other projects lately rather than circulating it. Oh well, with the summer wrapping up I'll turn on the steam.

Any Rants Today?
Can't thing of too much to rant about. The media isn't overly annoying today. I do a regular parade through some international titles, like The Independent, NY Times, The Globe and Mail, CNN, Mainichi News Japan (hey they've got MSN all over them now. What gives?!)Sydney Herald and a few tech sites.

There's a good smattering of interesting stuff that caught my attention. No big complaints. The annoying side of CBC local radio has been avoided successfully today. Amazing how one station can be ruined by their obsession with one personality. I keep it off so much now, as the annoying Alan Neal voice shows up when you least expect it. They even have the whiny, sarcastic bastard doing promos.

Some good stuff on Australia public radio though, as well as BBC world service. Their "world have your say" is an interesting approach to a call in show, with overlapping callers. Haven't seen anyone else do that yet. Sometimes it makes me cringe. Heard one great comment a while back when some element of religion came up, and a caller responded that he didn't "put a lot of stock in the ideas of bronze age beleif systems." A great quote if ever there was one. Why people feel compelled to follow bronze age metaphysical ideas in modern times is beyond me. "Well they did write it in a book, so it has to be true!"

Wrap
Best get onto another project or two before the end of the afternoon.

Your immediate assignment today is to right now say to a co-worker "Hey, I'm getting a cup of tea/coffee, can I get you a refill?" and see what happens.

Let me know!! lwopractice[at]yahoo.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home