Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Friday, September 08, 2006

Rumblings

What a nice day - sunny and warm. But just now a big noisy, flashy thunderstorm has come through. Bam - there was a blue flash and an almost instant crack. Sounds like a real kick-ass static discharge, as, of course, it is. You can really tell though when it's near like that. I wonder where it hit. Hopefully one of the pretentious monster houses that have sprung up in my neighbourhood, obliterating old houses to build something that towers over the neighbours, and has big ostentatious windows without curtains. I'd like to see a seriously charred corner on one of those puppies.

Cleaned up some stuff online and then went to buy some black earth (P3). That's not particularly what I wanted - just ordinary soil would be better. Everythings goes on and on about having peat moss or bone meal in it - I just want dirt, but I only need probably a 'quarter of a yard' of it, in landscapers' parlance.

But black earth it was, and on sale for $2 a bag too, so it looked pretty attractive. Also bought a bag of peat moss while I was there, so we can do the light-weight cement experiment at some point, maybe making a rock or something.

Also bought some pipe fittings - hard to find what I wanted at the big Despot. Ended up with metal fittings that will fit my threads. The pond pump says use 1/2" tubing, but it has a threaded outflow. Dufuses. So it's a 1/4" thread, not half an inch. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this pump anyway, might need the more expensive higher flow version. Must remember to keep my receipts. I have fittings now to turn the 1/4" male thread into a 3/4" barb for my existing hosage.

Did more hole shaping, and further built up the berm for the stream. The loamy earth is certainly not the best medium for this - I should plant some grasses to get some rootball action. I'm thinking I might even plant some barley, it won't come back in the spring, but the roots will mesh up the little hillock pretty well to hold it in place over winter. And I've got tons of barley.

Launched another writing project (P10). Fairly innovative structure, hope it turns out okay and I can keep my enthusiasm up.

Weekend
The weekend cometh. Probably some more landscapey stuff tomorrow morning as the SO has a volunteer thing in the AM. Or perhaps a leisureley breakfast. Would be nice to wrap up the current phase of project 3 though.

Wrap
Well the SO is home and supper is on my mind.

Here's your assignment for this entry - drop everything and do this right now. Go get a nice stiff drink. Try something you haven't had before. Do you drink scotch? Try a nice Lagavulin. If you don't drink scotch, try a Glenmorangie. Where do you get it? Find a pub-like place and you'll probably be able to get set up there.

Have just one. Okay, two if you wish, but don't over do it! No point drinking the good stuff if you're going to get blitzed and not enjoy it!

Tell me what you think! lwopractice at yahoo.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home