Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This is Only a Test

Rain all day, just as forecasted. So no planting on project 3. Did some project 2 work though, and forwarded around some resumes. Seems futile sometimes, but will persevere.

Went for a walk afterwards in the pouring rain, with my rain gear on. Had gotten a new rainjacket, so a good test. Seems to work okay. The bottom pair of pockets seemed to be a little wet inside. Seems almost like they got wetter after I zippered them up. But it could have been just run-off off my hands too.

Otherwise I was super dry. I always think about shoe covers of some sort when I walk in the rain. That's the weak spot. I don't want waterproof boots, because you get too warm. I want to merely stop the drips and run-off from my legs from making my shoes wet. There are covers for cycling shoes, but nothing for hikers. There are total overshoes but just a top cover of some sort, perhaps that would clip onto the laces would be good. I don't expect any protection from stepping in a puddle, just from falling water, and the toe-flip-up water that happens with every stride. The water flips from the toe area on the sole over the top of the shoe to land on the top side.

Oh well - perhaps I'll have to design it myself.... or just bring some duct tape with me... That might actually work, come to think of it, a couple of strips over the top of the shoe.

The whole point was in aid of a potential hike/camp tomorrow, but if the rain isn't going to let up, I might skip it. I don't mind hiking in the rain, but after 48 hours of rain there will be no dry firewood and the trails will be mucky, so I'll let it go for a week I guess.

Mundane Days
So a pretty non-thrilling day I guess. I made an ordinary supper and kicked myself for not having some interesting veg with my porkchop. It's harvest season, you dolt, why are you eating ancient carrots from the fridge. EVERYTHING else is in season. Will do some shopping tomorrow. Need a few other things too.

Got an early breakfast meeting too - on P1. Gotta get some clothes together.

Plato
Making some good progress on The Republic Got to the cave analogy. The translator suggests that a cinema analogy might be better, but I think it's not nearly as appropriate as the cave shadows. Someone who's only seen movies is very different from someone who's only seen shadows in their space. The complexity and engaging and self-explanatory nature of a movie is so different than the cryptic unexplained shapes of the passing shadows and associated noises. It's a good analogy though analogies can be dangerous if they're applied too rigidly.

It seems parallel to the wine bracket analogy that I think of often. If you drink crappy wine, and then get exposed to decent wine, it moves you up a notch and you can't go back to crappy wine easily. The TV show "Corner Gas" did a great exploration of the concept where characters were purposely exposing each other to "bracket-crossings" in revenge. Pretty good exploration actually.

Wrap
Well, clothes prep for tomorrow, read a bit and to sleep. Ugh what to wear. Oh well, it's a networking thing, so a pseudo casual suit thing should work.

Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is related. Find someone in your day today that's wearing something nice and compliment them on it. That's all. See if they react differenlty to you over the next 48 hours. Let me know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home