Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Life's Little Moments

An uneventful day. Brief moments here and there of calm, serene happiness. We should remember those sometimes. Too often we focus on our discomforts, disappointments and other dis's. It's little moments. When you are moving calmly through your actions, confident in yourself, comfortable with who you are and where you are, that you can feel pretty good.

It's nice to recognize those. Particularly today it was at a mundane moment. I had been to an early morning business meeting. A series of presentations - one of which was really lousy. A company I was peripherally interested in, and with whom I had made some contact, was presenting. They have a new CEO and the guy is a total asshole. What a presentation - full of things that any basically capable company would have excised from his slides. Biggoted remarks, some offensive violent images shown in support of selling his product. We don't need people like that.

So I wasn't too happy with that element of my day. But I got home and changed to casual stuff and did some work on the computer. My printer moved into that insanely slow printing mode - a brief tick of a motion every 10 seconds or thereabouts. I'd had this happen once before and it was cartidge related. This time it indicated the black cartridge being an issue. I checked it's ink with a syringe, and it was well topped up. I had refilled it for the 7th or 8th time about a month ago, and it had been printing reasonably. But I figured after so many refills, I'd splurge and get a new one.

So off to the store and picked up a new one - $38 for an HP new one, or $31 for a 'remanufactured' Staples labelled one. So I went for the latter. Hopefully it's only been remanufactured once - cause I gonna be putting more ink up inside that puppy for the next several years. I extracted 2 and a half syringes of ink from the old one, and bottled it for later reuse. The new one prints very nicely, so I'm glad to save the $7 now and more later. Hey - they even threw in a pack of 94/24 paper. What a bonus. That's another $7.50 value.

On the way home, I picked up some catfood, and some stuff for supper. Snowpeas and broccoli. I wanted some fruit but that frickin' Loblaws - why do they carry so little Canadian produce!? I'm not expecting guavas and coconuts. I mean some nectarines stuff. They had Canadian peaches and some apples. That's it. I don't go for peaches - that fuzz makes my skin crawl. And I want to go pick apples - probably this weekend. But I picked up some bananas and oranges anyway. Where are all the Saskatchewan bananas and Nunavut oranges I expect in a store?

Had a nice supper of snow peas, potatoes (Canadian) and ginger-soya chicken as per my throw it in a pan recipe. Always works out well. So I enjoyed that. Drank some of that crappy wine I made for cooking. Why do I drink that stuff - I should have bought a nice bottle while my SO is gone, to nurse over several nights.

But it was in the midst of those shopping trips. I knew where I was going, what I was doing. I had no rush, no deadlines. Nobody to worry about what I was up to. Just do my thing and ignore the time. Little moments of happiness.

It's good to live in the moment sometimes. Forget about the cash flow, the challenges of career and the lousy weather that nixed my camping plans. Just think - I'm feeling healthy, no pain, no worries just at this moment. That's good. And then on to the next thing.

Wrap
So that's probably not too exciting - but it's an okay day.

Your assignment, for immediate execution, is to grab a piece of paper and rip it in half. On one side you must write five things you are not happy about (no boundaries - just five things, in your life, your work, the world, what ever you want). And then on the other paper write five things you are happy about.

Now read through the 5 sad things and think about them for a moment. Resolve to try and make them better and then rip them up that sheet into super tiny pieces.

Now read through your list of 5 happy things. Smile as you do it. Now fold it up and put it in your pocket and carry it with you for the rest of the day.

Do it! No excuses. It takes no time, just do it now. Let me know how you felt about it. lwopractice at yahoo.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home