Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Every Few Months

Aha? What did I say? Yes that's the way of the big mindless company - time zips by without perspective. It's probably a little better than my original perspective, but I fear that's just the mire clouding my view.

I have a better sense of the business, lots of contacts and projects that are fairly stable. The opportunity for advancement seems weak, in spite of the join-up conditions, but an imminent change does seem likely. Hence I will continue to watch.

There is an interesting period a foot as two similar organizations need to be merged. One has a structure with inflated position titles, the other has deflated titles. How do you merge them? If you do a straight join, then peers are faced with suddenly becoming subordinate to someone with the same role as them. That would be the most dysfunctional, thus that's what I would expect.

The only other alternative is to demote or promote a group. You can rename all the titles, but it's hard to do anything other than manager, director and VP in this modern tech world. So I'm skeptical. Maybe boss, head honcho and grand poobah?

The Bottom Line
I get paid pretty well, my job comes pretty naturally without huge effort. I report to a very busy, distracted person who seems mostly nice. I do a bit of travel, but not so much that I'm always gone. I have time to do stuff like type a blog. Hard to complain - except that I long for working on an earth-shattering, life altering project that leaves a mark, making the world a better place.

Ho Hum, check in later for more updates of what happened, or better yet, send me your speculation or advice!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home