Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Hey A Project Finished... or is it.

Joining a new company is great fun for someone like me who generally enjoys change. A bit of quiet in the blog lately as I closed the deal and took my position here among the busy. As an added bonus, I joined a group just a day before they started moving their entire office area. So, not having much to move, I mosied on over to the new area in the campus and set up my new laptop there. Not much in the way of stuff yet, but now that I've got some space, I'm ready to start bringing in some personalization gear.

Signs of Life
I have a nice wide window ledge in my office, and decent view, only partially spoiled by a tract of vinyl wrapped identi-homes below among the trees. But a bit of life in the otherwise dated office enivornment would be nice.

I'm in a big multi-national company, but they seem to run a bit leaner than others. No state-of-the-art Herman-Miller stuff here. Just 1980's dividers that have seen better days, and a snug cube. At my level of management I guess I don't rate a door. But compared to the place I used to work in here (for the first 24 hours) this is decent. Sure the dividers were nicer in the old spot, but we're not so high up off the ground here, and my desk is reasonably close to the coffee station, and washrooms. The Caffeteria isn't so far away either, though I've not been too impressed yet.

What About P1?
I guess with P2 fully engaged, P1 needs to either be put to bed, or re-incarnated into something that might engage peripherally. That means a rework of the website to position the thing a bit different. Even though I was commanding a nice rate in the consulting role, the new position is paying me about the same. Who'd have thunk. So the security and proximity to interesting research, as well as pending organizational growth here seems to bode well. Or it could be that I'm an enabler for my director to bail and leave a mess to me. But even if so, it's not substantially more nasty that the challenges of P1 work.

So on it will go from there.

Wrap
Just a first update from my new digs, to break in the new computer. I'll continue to keep this moving as time allows. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to simply pull up your local jobs list and take a look. Have you done that recently? Well, give it a shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home