Life Without Practice

We all live lives without practice - you only live once, and this ain't no rehersal. Life is what happens along the road. Plan as we might, things sometimes take another path. This is an on-going diatribe from my perspective. Don't live like it's a rehearsal!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Amazing!

Just watching some TV and man - this should be big news, but on some David Attenborough nature show he was showing various birds and their grub eating practices. I was amazed to see finches on the Gallapagos as well as crows on another island (both without woodpeckers) fishing for grubs in logs. The finches go and get a cactus spine and spear grubs in the log. The crows were even more adept tool users, using a twig to make the gubs bite onto the twig and fish them out. They would even hold the twig with their toes while working on their last grub.

Such tool use in the avian world - I had no idea. I know otters use stones to open crustaceans, and some gulls drop oysters from high heights to crack them open - but these were cool. Don't even get me started on the ox peckers - they were very cool, rooting around in the ears of giraffes and elk.

Other Non-Ornithological Stuff
Well, otherwise, these are slightly stressful days on P2. As well, I've had a car issue. Honda owners seem to have some consistent issues with alternators after about 100,000km, and some relay/solenoid issues in the starter circuit. Both hit me at once. The alternator whine in my 2000 accord started up, and it took some sleuthing to identify it. I used a long dowel to touch various items in the engine compartment, while olding the other end to my ear (actually my knuckle in my ear and the dowel in my hand). Sure enough, the alternator bearings sounded grindy and whiney. So $550 later I had a new alternator and new starter solenoid contacts and both issues were done. I'm watching closely though, hoping the rebuilt alternator holds up well.

On the P2 front, a second interview on one of the three bites and it went pretty well. I was discouraged about this company initially, but talking to the technical staff has me a bit more pumped up. With a good salary offer I might just consider it. Would like some movement on the other two roles though too. Especially the super senior one. The one with traction is definitely the hardest sounding job. The other ones are easier, but at both ends of the hierarchical spectrum.

Loneliness
Ugh - what a time for a spousal biz trip, with P2 stuff happening and nobody to listen to me speculation and kvetching. (Hey - that word is actually in my Oxford Canadian dictionary!). But having the extra car during car work for two days was very convenient, especially with the interview. Now if I can just get some more action on that front. I should get more resume's going rather than just waiting on these live ones.

A wacky meal schedule today - I grabbed a sandwich and cup of consommé, then put on my rain gear and walked the 45minutes in the rain to get my car, in the cold blustery night. I was comfy in my rain gear, but I've got no good footwear solution for rain. Just hiking boots, which get wet easily (though they dry easily). I was thinkking as the wet seeped in that just some duct tape would probably work good to cover the vents and stop the splash-over and drip issues.

But after the fun rainy walk, on the P4 front, I zipped over to my favourite copper-clad bar in a nice restaurant and had a bowl of chowder, some nice wine and desert. Got to read the paper and chat with a familiar barman.

Cats are friendly tonight. purry and no biting from Ms. snappy.

Tomorrow is Open
With a pending schedule load coming up if P2 catches, I'm enjoying the flexible time. I prepped and stained the deck yesterday, before the rain showed up today. Plus did some yard work. I also want to pick the Tomatillo's before the frost renders them done. Should make some more salsa and freeze some verde sauce, on the P9 front.

I've discovered "Bonnie Pink" a catchy JPop favourite. Good Japanese practice after finding a copy of the lyrics to "Love is Bubble" in both English and Japanese, so P13 is progressing. Who can resist a song with lines like "Love is Bubble Love is Trouble" or such challenging Japanese phrases such as 愛はバブル 愛はトラブル in the Japanese version.

So I'll take it easy tomorrow... though I'm considering opening up the evil ceiling in the hallway, ripping through messy lathe and plaster and getting the tin-ceiling stuff in place after a bit of insulation and electrical work. Ugh - that's a project I didn't note, on going home reno work Project 14!

Wrap
It's getting pretty late, and I'm feeling it today. So straight into your assignment. Go listen to some JPop music! If you have iTunes, get on and select the radio streams and find something like "Japan-a-radio". Just listen to one song regardless of how it sounds. I've been pretty pleasantly surprised... though like much foriegn language music, I get the sense there is a bunch of plagiarism going on, use a western top40 tune make up some different words and presto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home